This article will cover anything that you might run into while setting up your Notion sensors for the first time. Use the sections below to quickly get up to speed.
- My sensor won't wake up
- I can't scan the QR code
- I can't pick a location
- I can't choose the tasks I want
- My sensor won't calibrate
- Other thoughts
My Sensor Won't Wake Up
When you first unpack your sensors, they may need some encouragement to make sure they're awake and talking to your bridge. The first time you take them out of the box, the sensors will respond to light. Make sure you're in a well lit room and continue troubleshooting:
- Try double tapping the sensor. The sensor should blink blue and then after a few seconds it will blink green.
- Try cycling the battery. Twist the cover off of the sensor, remove the battery and replace it. Look for the sensor to flash blue and then green.
- Try discharging the sensor. Take the battery out and use a key or other metal object to bridge the metal contacts of the battery holder. The picture below shows how:
I Can't Scan The QR Code
It's pretty rare to get an error at this point, but perhaps your phone is unable to focus on the QR code, or it will focus but it will not stabilize to take a picture of the code. Try the steps below:
- Try moving your phone closer to or further from the code to force your phone to adjust its focus
- Try going back, then hold your phone over the QR code as you activate your camera
- If you're using Android, download a 3rd party QR code reader app. Scan the code on your sensor, and when the Notion app prompts you to scan again, click the upper right hand corner to bring up the menu. Click "manually enter ID" and enter the sensor's ID.
After you scan the QR code, the app will check to make sure your sensor is awake. If the app shows you error messages here, follow troubleshooting steps above to wake up your sensor.
I Can't Pick a Location For My Sensor
After you scan the QR code, you can either pick a default location or you can enter a custom one. If the app is not letting you pick a location, make sure you pick something unique that you are not currently using for one of your other sensors.
I Can't Choose the Tasks That I Want
Each sensor is capable of the same possible tasks, but that doesn't mean that I sensor can do everything at once. Different tasks require the sensor to be installed differently, so the app will not let you choose two conflicting tasks for one sensor. In general, the sensor can detect one motion tasks,the smoke alarm task, or the leak tasks. Then you can add the temperature task on top.
My Sensor Won't Calibrate
After you've scanned your sensor and chosen your preferred location and tasks, the sensor will need to calibrate. At this point a lot of information is passed back and forth between the sensor and bridge. If the sensor is not calibrated then you might miss out on important notifications about your home. Try a few steps below to make sure your sensor calibrates correctly:
- Make sure the sensor was not mistakenly added to your account. Click the sensor icon int he app and navigate to the sensors tab. Check to see if your sensor is listed there. If it is, click it, scroll to the bottom and click "delete sensor". Then try the sensor installation process again.
- Make sure the sensor is awake during calibration. Try the steps above to wake up your sensor and make sure you saw a green LED.
- Try moving your bridge very close to the sensor and try calibrating again. You can move your bridge back after the sensor is calibrated.
- Make sure your sensor is not blocked by anything that might cause interference during installation. This could include physical obstructions as well as other electronic devices that emit radio signals.
Sensor set up can hit road blocks for a few other rare reasons. If troubleshooting above doesn't help your sensor, feel free to reach out to our support team for further assistance. Click here to submit a ticket, or we are available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (877)668-4660.